Monday, October 22, 2012

Quick 10 Minute Caramel Apples

When fall comes around there is nothing I love more than some delicious baked treats, but fall would not be the same without caramel apples.  I was craving caramel apples one day, but the thought of making caramel on the stove with a candy thermometer quickly turned me off to the idea.  I remembered reading somewhere that you can make microwave caramels in about 7 minutes or something.  So the search began and I found a pretty quick and easy recipe to share.

First you need to find some good apples.  Everyone's preference for the type of apple to use for caramel apples vary so use whatever apple you want.  I usually purchase my apples from the local orchard because they are delicious and there isn't any wax on the apples.

Start by washing your apples and make sure they are really dry.  If the apples are wet the caramel won't stick to your apples.  Make sure that you also put some wax paper down and just to be sure spray it with some non-stick cooking spray so the apples will be easy to get off.  Then put a stick in the middle of the apple and make the caramel.


Super Easy Microwave Caramels   
Originally found at Eat Cake For Dinner adapted by Rachel.  
Makes 4 Caramel Apples plus some extra caramel to eat.

5 Tablespoons Butter
1/2  Cup Honey
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk*
1 Teaspoon vanilla
Place Butter, honey, sugars (white and brown), and milk in a large microwave safe bowl (the bigger the bowl the better otherwise you will have a big mess to clean up in your microwave).
Microwave the caramel mixture for 6 minutes stirring every 2 minutes.  Depending on your microwave will make a big difference on how long you will need to cook the caramel for. The caramel looked pretty good after I did it for 4 minutes.  Once the caramel is cooked stir in the vanilla.  Then take your apples and start dipping them in the caramel.  Then enjoy these delicious fall snacks or treats.

*If sweetened Condensed Milk isn't something that you have on hand it is really easy to make.  I usually have powdered milk in my pantry so it is easy to make just the amount that I need.  To make just enough sweetened condensed milk for this recipe you place 1/4 Cup Hot water, 1/2 Cup Dry Powdered Milk, 1/2 Cup Sugar, and 1/2 Tablespoon Butter in a blender and blend very well.  This recipe should make you enough for 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk.


Linking Up to these parties here.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I always have these ingredients on hand! New follower here! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This does seem easy! Thanks for sharing. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it button